Improving quality, performance and reliability of product and services
- Standards provide clear guidelines and instructions to ensure product or services satisfy customers' or stakeholder's requirements that will results in satisfied customer, repeat orders thereby making businesses more competitive and successful.
- Standards provide agreed reference to the stakeholders on levels of performance and reliability expected for the products and services thereby providing businesses with the right guidance for decision making.
Providing clear communication with suppliers and customers
- Standards provide precise and widely-accepted descriptions of components, products and services, making it possible for every link in the supply chain to share a common understanding of the exact requirements that need to be fulfille
- References to specific standards in product catalogues, calls for tender, supply contracts and purchase agreements make sure that the products and/or services businesses provide will correspond to customers' expectations.
Facilitating access to customers around the world
- Standards provide businesses with reference imposed by the importing countries to access foreign markets. By complying with relevant standards, businesses have the competitive edge to enter international market
Increasing customer confidence and positive perception on businesses
- By complying with standards, businesses demonstrate commitment towards providing quality product and services thus giving assurance and confidence to customer. Customer's confidence will provide businesses with long term support.
- Adopting to standards is also a way of showing to the world that businesses are committed to excellence and continual improvement which include quality of your products and/or services, health and safety, management processes and environmental aspects. This will give positive perception on the way businesses are run thus will increase customer's loyalty and attract new prospects.
Assisting to reduce costs, waste and increase efficiency
- Management systems standards such as Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and Energy Management Systems (EnMS) provide framework that will assist businesses to focus on customer requirements, environmental management, energy savings, reduce non-conformance of product and services, rework and increase efficiency through systematic process based approach. This will help businesses to be cost effective, efficient and productive. This will result in increased profitability.
Providing privileged access to the latest technology and state-of-the-art solutions
- International, regional and national standards are developed by experts who are key players in their industries, who share their knowledge and expertise in a particular field. These standards are also reviewed on a regular basis to ensure that they take account of the latest scientific, technological, regulatory and market developments. By referring to the current versions of relevant standards, businesses can benefit from having access to the best available knowledge and state-of-the-art solutions
Complying with relevant legislation
- Standards can help businesses to ensure that their products and services fulfil the requirements of relevant legislation for example compliance to MS ISO 14001 for Environmental Management Systems will assist business to comply with the requirements in Environmental Quality Act 1974 and its relevant regulations. Similarly OHSAS 18001 is the most widely used and recognised standard for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems, while MS 1722 is a Malaysian Standard on Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems that can be used to demonstrate businesses commitment to safeguard the welfare of employees and others from workplace injuries and illnesses, as well as meeting OSH legal requirements under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) 1994.
Providing better health and safety of your workers and consumers
- Applying the relevant standards can fulfil businesses responsibilities towards your employees and customers and help to protect the health and safety of employees and customers as well as the general public and the natural environment.
Increasing compatibility and interoperability
- Interoperability is vital for industries. Standards is a useful tool for ensuring that different products and components are mutually compatible and will function properly when connected together. This will assist businesses to make sure that all the products and services provided are compatible with each other, and that they will also work with products and services offered by other companies and organizations. This is the important aspect of standards that support businesses.