STANDARDS MALAYSIA TRANSITION TO ISO/IEC 17020:2012
The Malaysian Standard for MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012 Conformity assessment - Requirement for the operation of various types of bodies performing inspection has been approved by Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation on 18th March 2013.
With respect to ISO/IEC 17020:2012, the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC), have resolved:
"The ILAC membership agrees to a three-year transition period for the implementation of ISO/IEC 17020: 2012 Conformity assessment – Requirements for the operation of various types of inspection bodies performing inspection, from the date of publication of the English language version of the standard. The standard was published on 1 March 2012, therefore the three year transition period will conclude on 1 March 2015."
In order to facilitate smooth transition to MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012, STANDARDS MALAYSIA has decided upon the following transition programme:-
For Inspection Body (IB) accredited under Malaysia Inspection Bodies Accreditation Scheme (MIBAS)
- All assessment conducted after 1st January 2014 will be based on the MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012 unless Inspection Body explicitly request to be assessed early.
- After 1stJanuary 2014, all assessment will be conducted based on MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012 as per transition scheduled submitted by all accredited inspection bodies.
- While there are significant changes to the new standard, not all clauses of MS ISO/IEC 17020 have been revised. Accordingly, during on site assessments, STANDARDS MALAYSIA assessors will identify and
- document in their assessment reports any new requirements that would require revisions to policies, procedures or other actions needed by inspection bodies for establishing compliance with MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012. Inspection bodies are required to respond to all findings based on the 2012.
- In order to facilitate the transition process, a Gap Analysis between the two editions (1998 and 2012) of the standard and Checklist of MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012 has been prepared. STANDARDS MALAYSIA requests Inspection Bodies to submit a Checklist to the officer-in-charge (OIC) three (3) month before assessment being conduct.
- The Accreditation Certificate and Schedule of Accreditation will be adapted to reflect accreditation against MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012 after the surveillance/re-assessment against the new standard has been successfully completed and a decision for renewal of accreditation has been granted. The accreditation number will remain the same.
- From the 1st March 2015, accreditation to MS ISO/IEC 17020:1998 will no longer be available and accreditation certificate to MS ISO/IEC 17020:1998 is no longer valid.
For Inspection Body seeking accreditation under Malaysia Inspection Body Accreditation Scheme (MIBAS) (New Application)
For application received after 1stJuly 2013, assessment shall be conducted based on MS ISO/IEC 17020:2012.
Extension of scope/branch
For extension of scope/branch assessment will be conduct assessment according to the inspection body/headquarter schedule of assessment.
For more information or any queries please contact:
Mr. Roslan Alias
Tel: 603-8319 1318